SAN QUIRICO (Bagno Vignoni)
Originally an Etruscan town, it acquired importance thanks to the neighbouring Via Franchigena. Federico Barbarossa, in 1154, received the ambassador of Pope Adrian IV here and this event is recalled in the "Festa del Barbarossa", 3° Sunday of June. In 1167 it was seat of the Imperial Vicar. The Florence of Cosimo I de' Medici purchased it in 1559. The Collegiata of SS. Quirico and Giuditta is in the Romanesque style: it has three portals and one whit faces southern is attributed toGiovanni Pisano. Inside is found the polyptych of Sano di Pietro and a Chorus from 1432-1502. Palazzo Chigi is from the XVII century. The "Horti Leonini"(16 th century) are one of the first examplesof of Italia Garden style: from August to October there is an exhibition of sculpture "Forms in green". The Romanesque parish church of S. Maria Assunta was, perhaps, constructed on the remains of a pre- Cristian temple. The inside of the church of S. Francesco holds two wooden polychrome statues and a Robbia's Madonna.
Montefollonico (576m above sea level) is a small medieval village whose raison d'être is found in the past rivalries
between the republics of Siena and Florence; in fact the village was born as a Sienese fortress, against the
"Florentine" Montepulciano. The first evidence of the area being inhabited dates as far back the Neanderthal man
(approx. 60,000 years ago) with the Lithic tools found in the area of "Il Tondo" (now the public garden).
In the following centuries we have accounts of a territorial dispute in the year 715 for the ownership of the church
Pieve di San Valentino. The history of the village as such began in the XIIIth century with the foundation of the
church Pieve di S. Leonardo by the Cistercian monks from the monastery nearby, who by dedicating themselves to fulling
wool gave the village its name Mons a Fullonica. After various events Montefollonico was incorporated into the Tuscan
Grand Duchy in 1555.
Montepulciano is situated in the south area of the senese territory which includes the Val d’Orcia, Val di Chiana and Crete Senesi.
So people who spend the night in Montepulciano can reach in a few minutes the must important artistic towns and places such as: Siena, Firenze, Cortona, Pienza, Montalcino, San Quirico d’Orcia, Orvieto and Trasimeno Lake, LIPU’s oasis of Montepulciano lake and some Etruscan ancient tombs in Chiusi.
From an artistic point of view, Montepulciano, called “The pearl of the Rinaissance” for the works of the must important architects, painters and sculptors of XVIth Century, offers the possibility to give oneself up in a rich and powerfull past.
Wonderful landscape surrounds Montepulciano with its hills, vineyards, lakes, olive groves, all cottages and its old and pleasant villages. One of the must famous wine in the world rises from these vineyards and it is called Vino Nobile of Montepulciano.
This wine, together with the Brunello of Montalcino, the Chianti of Siena and Florence, the chianina beef, the pecorino cheese of Pienza and the olive oil promote the gastronomic development of this territory.
Tourists can taste the typical dishes and red famous wine in the many restaurants and typical tavern situated in the old town of Montepulciano.
So we are waiting for you in Montepulciano, to discover again old and lost tastes.
This former medieval hamlet, residence of the Cacciaconti family until the 1500s, stands on the top of a hill, deep in unspoilt countryside of woods, vineyards and olive groves. A third of the village is occupied by the Cacciaconti castle and its annexes including an impressive ornamental garden. Here you can visit the church of SS. Pietro and Andrea which contains a fresco by Sodoma. The mild climate, the relaxing countryside and the gastronomic attractions (wine, oil, cheese, salami, honey and local "chianina" beef) make the area a popular destination for agritourism. The town hall buildings in Petroio house the "terracotta association" and the terracotta museum is now being prepared. The pottery or "coccio", produced by the local manufactures is famous throughout Italy. Castelmuzio stands on a outcrop of tufa close to the monastery of S. Anna in Camprena which contains remarkable frescos by Sodoma; the parish church of S.Stefano is also nearby.
This spa town, which specialises in the treatment of liver disorders, is among the most famous in Italy.
The special properties of the waters of Chianciano is not far from the spa centre with its hotels, shops, treatment
centres and elegant parks where the therapeutic waters emerge: "acqua Sillene" is used for balnotherapy and mud-bath
treatment; acqua Sant'Elena" used for the treatment of the kidneys and urinary disorders. Both the climate and the
unspoilt green areas are excellentr, holidays here are fulfilling and pleasant and dedicated to health and fitness.
More than 2 million people visit Chianciano every year. Cultural attractions include the Museo Etrusco, soon to be
opened, and the Museo della Collegiata. Also to be seen are the collegiate church of S.Giovanni Battista, built in
1229 and restored in 1809, the church of the Compagnia (1517), the Torre dell'Orologio with Medici crest and the
church of Madonna della Rosa (1585) designed by B. Lanci.
Without doubt, Montalcino lives a life of many souls. Montalcino as the birthplace of Brunello wine, whic someone once defined as the best and most renowned wine in Italy. From the height of its 564 m. the ancient town dominates the surrounding countryside, clinging to the slopes of a hill crowned by the imposing 14th-century fortress. In the labyrinth of little streets, amongst artisans'shops, small cafès and places selling typical local produce ( besides the wine, their honey and locally-made biscuits called "dead bones" are also well-known) the sights worth seeing are the fine Town Hall, the Bishp's Palace ( housing the United Civic, Diocesan and Archaeological Museums, with works by important 13th-16th century Sienese artists, such as Bartolo di Fredi, Il Sodoma, Bartolomeo Neroni), the antique Crucifix of Saint Antimus dating back to the mid-12th century, and the churches of Saint Augustine, Saint Giles and Saint Francis, all built between the 13th and 14th centuries, as well as the Sanctuary of our Lady of Succour. But it is just a little way out of town, near Castelnuovo dell'Abate in the Starcia valley that thhe heart of Montalcino spirituality is to be found: the Romanesque abbey of St.Antimus, a striking little temple enveloped in an almost magical atmosphere, founded by Charlemagne in 781. Finally, there are several castles on Montalcino land: the one worthy of mention is Poggio alle Mura, which has Longobard origins.
On the eastern slopes of the mountain bearing the same name, Cetona has retained its medieval structure, whith roads,
alleys and stairways all leading to the fortress which dominates it. The local economy is mainly agricultural, but
tourism as also been actively developed. Many famous people from the words of economics, theatre, fashion and culture
live here in their renovated country homes and villas. Whitin only 5 km of the town can be found one of the oldest
settlements in central Italy, dating back 40.000 years, and today known as the Parco archeologico naturalistico di
Belverde. There are 25 prehistoric caves and the largest of these Saint Francis prayed. The Museo Civico contains
remains from the bronze age collected from the area around the caves. In the next village, piazze, the romanic
Collegiate church contains frescos by Pinturicchio.
In Etruscan times, on the southern edge of the Valdichiana, stood the town of Chamars, powerful enough, in that period,
to defeat Rome. In the historical centre, with its medieval architecture as well as styles of the granduchy, remains
of the Roman structure can still be seen which were built on top of yhe pre-existing etruscan town. The Museo
archeologico nazionale contains excellent Etruscan finds and Greek ceramics from the contryside around Chiusi;
the funeral urns and sarcophagi are particularly interesting. It is possible to visit the catacombs and Etruscan
necropolises; the tomba del Leone (6th century b.C.) and the tomba della Pellegrina (5th century b.C.) are open.
Definitely worth visiting are the Museo della Cattedrale and the "labirinto di Porsenna", underground water passages
built by the Etruscan and including a large cistern which leads to the romanic cathedral bell tower. There are four
neighbouring localities: Macciano, Montallese, Montevenere and Querce al Pino. Festivals: The festival of Santa
Mustiola with its palio delle Torri and the September wine festival.
SAN CASCIANO dei BAGNI
The main feature of this medieval town, which stands on the Sienese border between the regions of Umbria and Lazio,
is its wealth of hot spring water, numbering as many as 42 springs. The waters here were already known in Roman times
(Oratius alludes to their therapeutic qualities). The main economic activity is related to hot springwater tourism and
to "agritourism" which thrives thanks to the unspoilt woods and countryside. Today, a new building stands next to the
former spa centre where it is possible to have a variety of mud and water treatments. In the near vicinity the
swimming pool is filled with hot spring water at 40°C. It is worth visiting the fairy-tale castle of Fighine.
Traditional festivals include: the "Sagra dei Pici" - a homemade pasta speciality - in Celle sul Rigo, a village built
on the site of a former fortress. The festival is held on the last Sunday in May. In San Casciano the "Sagra del
Ciaffagnone" takes place on the first Sunday in June. The other frazione of Palazzone is wellknows for its wine
festival and its strong Chianti Colli Senesi wine.
The town stands on the top of a hill which overlooks the splendid Val d'Orcia. Enea Silvio Piccolomini was born here
in 1405 and when he became pope Pius II in 1458 he decided to transform his modest village into the perfect town, an
admirable example of the humanistic period, and entrusted the design to Bernardo Rossellino. Piazza Pio II is intact,
incorporanting the most rigorous of Renaissance perspective, and containing the cathedral and Palazzo Piccolomini.
The town's main axis is corso Rossellino, lined with houses built by the nobility in the 14th century. Pienza is a
mainly agricultural centre, particularly famous for its pecorino cheese. The traditional cheese show, "fiera del cacio"
takes place on the first Sunday in September. The flower show "Pienza e i fiori" takes place in mid May. Also to be
visited is Monticchiello, made famous by its "Teatro povero", a new play anacted each summer by the local inhabitants.
The traditional cheese show, "fiera del cacio" takes place on the first Sunday in September. The flower show "Pienza
e i fiori" takes place in mid May. Also to be visited is Monticchiello, made famous by its "Teatro povero", a new
play anacted each summer by the local inhabitants.
Monticchiello os a pretty medieval village in the heart of the Val d'Orcia, which origins lose themselves in the time.
The first official document dates back to the 973, when the marquis Lamberto Aldobrandesco surrendered the castle to
the Badia Amiatina for a conspicuous sum of money. In the following years Monticchiello will belong to the Roman church
and particularly to the Teutonici riders (until 1230), that being an order accustomed to fight, resulted proper to
administer a territory of frontier. The first document relating the free Commune of Monticchiello brings the date of
the 1243. From this moment, for beyond three centuries, the castle remained faithful to Siena until his capitulation
in 1559 with the Frank-Spanish war, becoming, like the whole state of Siena, part of the Granducato of Tuscany.
After five centuries the Commune of Monticchiello came under the jurisdiction of the Commune of Pienza in 1777.
Teatro Povero di Monticchiello
The poor Theater of Monticchiello, born in 1967, realizes a life and culture experience particularly interesting.
The inhabitants of the place, in fact, from the end of July for almost all month long of August, put in scene a
drama, in the main square of the village, with daily replicas, that is completely written, directed and staged by
themselves; the same staff creates also the music and the scenery. In the last years the performances, "recited" in
the typical Val d'Orcia dialect; have been divided in two parts, the first concerning experiences of the past country
life during the first half of the 20th century, the second dramatising themes of current events. The theatrical
experience of the people of Monticchiello from "popular experiment" has become a meaningful example of making theatre
in Italy, with flattering judgments of public and review.
One of the twelve cities of the Etruscan League-substantial fragments of its primitive cyclopean defences can still be
seen, incorporated in the medieval walls. Apart from a few fine Renaissance palaces, the prevailing character of
Cortona's architecture is medieval, conferring on the steep narrow streets a strong sense of atmosphere. The city is
commandingly situated (altitude 600 metres) and there are magnificent panoramas to every point of the compass,
embracing the whole of the Val di Chiana. Prominent among many art works of various periods in the Museo dell'Accademia
Etrusca are the Etruscan Chandelier known as the "lamp of Cortona", one of the most celebrated bronzes of antiquity,
and the "Polyhymnia Muse", an encaustic painting of the Roman era, of Remarkable beauty. The Museo Diocesano displays
works by Luca Signorelli, distinguished Renaissance painter and native of Cortona, and a much-admired "Annunciation"
by Beato Angelico. The most important medieval buildings are the churches of San Francesco and San Domenico and The
Palazzo Casali, which has a renaissance facade. In these, and in the Renaissance churces of Santa Maria Nuova and San
Niccolò, valuable works of art are preserved.
A centre of ancient origins with a rich variety of tourists attractions and a particularly mild and pleasant climate
which enhances the variety of springwater related activities. the old town, which dates back to the Neolithic age, is
dominated by the Castle. Every year on August 15th the "Giostra del Saracino" is contested, a challenge on horseback
between the five contrade or districts of the town and in which participants, using a lance, must catch a ring worn by
a Saracen - the eternal enemy. The contest is preceded by the drawing of lots. Traditional dress is a feature of the
event. Also worth a visit is Castiglioncello del Trinoro, a typical medieval village with a wonderful view of the
valley below. Close to Sarteano, on the hill of Pietraporciana, a protected beech-wood has proved to be of special
interest to the Italian botanical society. It is pleasant to eat out here in the picnic area provided.
The town dominates the Val d'Orcia from a top an isolated rock, from which rise the ruins of an ancient castle. It was an important location along the border of the Roman state. The fortifications which Cosimo I ordered on account of the explosion of a powder magazine in 1735 have since been destroyed. Radicofani remains famous for the deeds of the bandit Ghino di Tacco who lived here for many years. Works in terracotta by Luca della Robbia are kept within the church of S. Pietro. The church of S. Agata in the gothic-Sienese style. The evocative Edificio della Posta from l6th century with its facade and double “loggia” is found on Via Francigena. Many illustrious men have stayed here, among them Chateaubriand, Dickens and Montaigne, this last being particularyly passionate about the Italian cousin and appreciative of the use of olive oil in the preparation of certain dishes. In his writing recalled the cordiality and hospitality of the Tuscans.
Situated 322 m. above sea level in the heart of Tuscany, this town is built on three hills, maintaining intact its medieval appearance characterized by narrow winding streets and noble buildings. Of Etruscan origin, it was a Roman colony with the name of Sena Julia; its importance grew in the Middle Ages, first as the seat of Lombard gastalds, and then of Counts under the Carolingian domination. After a long period of episcopal dominion (9th-11th century) the town reached a peak of power after becoming a municipality (1147), undertaking a policy of expansion towards the bordering territories. Confrontation with Florence was inevitable and the struggle lasted, with various vicissitudes, until 1555, when after a long siege, Siena was conquered by the Florentines, losing its autonomy and becoming part of the Duchy, sharing its fortunes until unification with Italy. Events: Palio of Contrade (2nd July and 16th August), St. Caterina's Celebration (29th April), Musical Weeks in Siena (September).
Arezzo Strategically located on a hill at the convergence of the Valdarno ,Casentino and the Valdichiana valleys, ancient Arezzo was one of the richest cities of the etruscan dodecapolis.Nor it has one of the biggest jewellery industries in Europe and its second most notable industry is forniture-making and marketing antiques. On the first weekend of each month the main square Piazza Grande becomes an enormous antique curiosity shop.Piazza Grande is also the perfect backdrop for the Giostra del Saracino, a celebration of the feats of arms against saracen pirates who menaced the tyrrhenian coast,and penetrated inland even as far as Arezzo . You can find its typical Christian medieval architecture in the Pieve di S.Maria, with its beautiful rich facade of going back sculptures to the school of Antelami and with the representation to its inside of "La the Madonna and Santi" of Lorenzetti. A careful and laborious job of restoration has given splendor to "La Legend of the Croce", that are frescoes of Piero Della Francesca ,conserved to the inside of the Basilica of S.Francesco. The Church of S.Domenico conserve a beautiful Crocifisso of the Cimabue.
CASTIGLIONE DEL LAGO
Castiglione del Lago is a fortified city on a small promontory on the west side of Lake Trasimeno. The city is still completely surrounded by the city wall with its original three gates. It is divided into two parts, the inhabited part that goes toward the land and that part which goes toward the lake which has only the Duke's Palace and a large medieval fortress with its powerful, triangular, 30 m high mast. The ancient nucleus of Castiglione del Lago has a rectangular design, with Piazza Mazzini as the central axis. The entire city was set up using geometric and symbolic schemes of medieval urban planning.
Towards the piazza, situated at the highest point of the inhabited section, the two main roadways converge. There are three rows of houses along the roads which were originally used by residents and craftsmen. The historical city is a good example of the balance between the houses and the garden areas (which were used for the markets) and the system of roads that united them. Today Castiglione, which is 40 km from both Perugia and Arezzo, is a tourist centre with a large inland area where new housing has developed. There is a well developed area around the lake where the perimeter of the promontory is lined with pine trees, fields, sandy beaches and cliffs. The current population of the communal territory is 13,500 inhabitants.
Acquaviva is a fraction of the comune of Montepulciano (Him) situated to around 9 kms from the chief town, sets to 300 m.s.l.ms. in Valdichiana.
The principal road of the country is Away Brothers Celso and Claudio Braschi: from here it articulates an inhabited center in slow but constant expansion where we can to find shops of every kind: the bank Mountain of the paschi in Siena, the post office, pharmacy, the supermarket coop, the typical shops of the bread, butcheries, rosticcerie and many typical restaurants. The holy patron is St. Vittorino to which the nineteenth-century church is devoted with plant to Greek cross. But to St. Vittorino a street is entitled, also the steep of the country, situated on the side of the church. The most suggestive events, as the agricultural fair of the livestock, is developed for instance always in the Gardens of the Fierale that still constitute the social fulcrum of the country The Theater of the In agreement ones, restructured in the years '90, are a jewel bèlle époque, that currently entertains the festival of the theater amatoriale, besides the shows of the International Yard of art of Montepulciano.The productive activities assemble him on the sectors of the local ecellenzes: the enologia, the tourism (above all with the agriturismo), the agriculture. But they there was room for the small industrial installations, for the more to family management
Events and Demonstrations:
The Fair of St. Vittorino has represented for different decades a reality for the commerce of the livestock, essential sector for a predominantly rural economy. The initiative is turned then into a market fair that on first Saturdays of September are still prepared.
Live Rock Festival of Beer
In the last years the name of Acquaviva has begun to echo in Italy thanks to the LIVE Rock Festival OF BEER. The demonstration, that the second week of September is held, conjugates a musical review of quality with the enthusiasm of the popular party. From 1997 they are exhibited on the stage of Acquaviva the more hailed Italian and international musicians as Francis De Gregori, Afterhours, PGR, Baustelle, South Sound System, 99 Posse, Enzo Avitabile. Every year therefore the small fraction poliziana welcomes thousand (13.000 in 2006) of young people coming from the four angles of the peninsula.
Runs of the horses
Acquaviva has been (and partly continuous to be) famous in the environment of the horseback riding for the legendary runs of the horses. The appointment of Easter, more than every other, it recalled indeed a numerous public, both for the competitions, both for the authoritativeness of the jockeys and often and gladly they were the same protagonists of the Palio in Siena. Currently the new sporting plant, near the Stadium Ceccuzzi, inaugurated at the end of the eighties in the zone of Fontegrande, it entertains for three times a year the runs of the horses, even if with a less exciting impact in comparison to the old Fastis.
Just 15 kilometres away from Villa Ricci Tuscany borders with Umbria, another splendid region located in the very heart of Italy. From Montepulciano follow directions for Cortona, a city of art well worth a visit, after which the road skirts Lago Trasimeno as far as Perugia, Umbria’s main town, famous for the production of chocolate and cashmere. In an area of just a few square kilometres it’s possible to visit the towns of Assisi, Deruta, Todi, Spello, Spoleto and Orvieto
Until 1864 the town was known as Asinalunga (long donkey) as is almost certainly of Etruscan origin. Traditionally an agricultural centre, the town today also has some industry: brickworks, pottery, furniture manifacture, light engineering and glass. The comune includes the villages of Rigaiolo, Scrofiano, Bettolle, Farnetella, Guazzino, and Rigomagno. Its numerous remains and finds also make it attractive to tourists. In the oldest part of the town we can still see the line of the medieval walls, of which some towers still remain. In the collegiate church there is a "deposition" by Girolamo del Pacchia and paintings by Benvenuto di Giovanni and Sodoma.
Famous people born here include Giuseppe Stocchi, great writer, historian and man of letters, the zoologist Ezio Marchi (1869-1908), the musician Ciro Pinsuti (1828-1888), pupil of Rossini, author of the novel "Il mercante di Venezia". In 1867, in palazzo Agnolucci, Giuseppe Garibaldi was arrested by the army to prevent him from marching on Rome.
TORRITA DI SIENA
Located in the centre of the Valdichiana, Torrita has transformed its traditional agricultural economy into on of light industry and crafts. The earliest historical records date back to 1037. The town subsequently became a fortress defending the Republic of Siena along its southern borders. Remains of the original walls include nine foundations and three doors. THe churches of S.Flora and S.Lucilla contain frescos and other valuable artistic works from the Sienese school. Here was born the famous highwayman Ghino di Tacco dei Monaceschi Pecorai and the Franciscan monk Iacopo da Torrita the restorer of mosaics.
The donkey race "Palio dei Somari", takes place in March. Apart from the town itself, composed of the historical centre and a newer development, do not miss visiting Montefollonico, a village built around a former medieval castle and having remained largely intact. The walks here are particularly enjoable.
San Gimignano is in his/her whole, the preserved medieval center better in Italy. It still brings the perfect structure of the sec. XII AND XIII. Houses, churches and buildings are all well preserved ones. Famous for his/her 13 towers, in medieval age it counted 72 of them. Adorned by famous frescos of the Ghirlandai and by works, churches, buildings and monuments of famous artists. In the civic pinacoteca they are preserved medieval paintings and Renaissance pictures.
Set on the summit of a back not too far from the Cassia, Castiglion of Orcia it is a predominantly agricultural and handicraft center. Picked up to the feet of the mighty fortress of the Aldobrandeschi, the country offers picturesque angles as the plaza devoted to the Oldie (here been born in 1412). A little out it is Fortress of Orcia, small medieval suburb built on the slopes of a great rock-cliff of limestone that it emerges from the clays of the Val of Orcia on whose summit rises him today restored Fortress to they Tinkle. To south of the commune the Baths of St. Phillip are found, thermal place whose waters alkaline-sulfuree they gush out to 52° from suggestive rocks of travertino. To around 870 m.s.l.ms. the fraction is found of I Live of Orcia from the plentiful and perennial stream of waters that, few springing above, they cross her/it. Other fraction the small country of Campiglia of Orcia set on a calcareous promontory. The country preserves the rests of the ancient medieval fortress belonged to the Viscounts of Campiglia.
CITTA' DELLA PIEVE
Città della Pieve overlooks the Valdichiana and Lake Trasimeno at the border between Umbria, Tuscany and Lazio. The view extends to Cimino to the south, to the Pratomagno Mountains to the north and to the Apennine Mountains to the east. The most important Italian transportation routes pass through the valley below: the railway line, the express train between Florence and Rome and the freeway, Autostrada del Sole. The city is 43 km from Perugia, 168 km from Rome and 157 km from Florence. The city looks like it was set down on a plateau. Its high position is even more accentuated by the many bell and defense towers that testifiy to Città della Pieve’s importance in the course of history as an ecclesiastical power and as a strategic military post. The rose color of the buildings catches ones eye and is due to the locally produced bricks. The use of these bricks unites Città della Pieve to the neighboring Siena with whom strict cultural, economic and political ties developed. The historical center is still as it was at the time of the beginning of the communal government (first half of the XIII century). The wide curved streets testify to the presence of knights who went to war on their horses while the small, narrow alleyways are indicative of the peasant foot-soldiers which indicate the present of pedestrians (peasant farmers) who used crossbows. In the clashes between the two classes, the knights could escape the arrows of the peasants due to the curved streets, while the peasants sought refuge in the narrow streets where the horses could not enter. Onto this medieval urban plan was later grafted the harmony and elegance of numerous architectural periods with Renaissance, Baroque, Rococo and neo-Classical that show the vitality of the city up to recent times. There are currently about 6,700 inhabitants in the commune.
The lake Trasimeno is the most greater lake basin in Central Italy and the quarter among all the Italian lakes. Its perimeter is of 54 kilometers and is entirely found in the territory umbro, in the province of Perugia. Of alluvial origin is fed to a large extent from the rains, from some streams and from small sources. The water they are rich of fishes and different kinds of birds. An unique flora and very appreciated by the lovers of the nature. And' completely where bathing is permitted and offers different suburbs with beaches equipped for great and small, where very pleasant to spend the warmest days of the year is. it also Possesses some islands: the Smaller island and the Most greater island situated on the northern bank and the island Polvese, the greatest, on the south-oriental bank. It is visitable through an efficient net of traghetti (ferry boat).The principal suburbs that lean out on the coasts I am: Castiglione of the lake, Passignano, Tuoro, Torricella, St. Feliciano: calm picturesque urban centers also to the evening, whether to be able to also taste the typical kitchen of lake.
The beautiful Perugia is a point of reference not to loose for whoever you visit Umbria. With his around 160.000 inhabitants,offers numerous monuments of extraordinary importance and different runs in the history. Beginning from his/her first soul: that etrusca, passing for that medieval, that marks the urban plant, up to reach that more modern and innovative, well represented from mechanized runs what mobile staircases, elevators to connect the acropolis of the historical center with the peripheral zones and the recent MINIMETRO'
I live and amusing also at night, the center of Perugia is a to swarm with places, typical restaurants, inns and places whether to listen to music live, Perugia is very famous for Umbria jazz festival in end June to first july and winter and many other blues Festival around the town near, Castiglion del Lago(Trasimeno Blues) Torrita Blues etc.
FOIANO DELLA CHIANA
Foiano della Chiana represents a real mine of curiosity and itineraries. Sets to the center of the most typical Tuscan landscape, Foiano he reveals a little to the eyes of the visitor, but it immediately strikes for the harmony compositive of his/her urbanistic order, vaguely to form of heart, with the point it turns toward his “appendice”Pozzo of the Chiana. Such urbanistic plant is unique in the province of Arezzo and you/he/she can admire the singleness walking on the ancient boundaries, among holds lanes and small plazas. To dominion of the country, it polls the stately civic tower, erect at the end of the ‘700. In the principal plaza of the country, the splendid building pretorio, ancient residence of the podestà, today center of the town hall. Opposed to this, the Building with Loggias (says Pious Mountain), built in the XVI sec. how residence of hunting of Ferdinando II de. The building currently entertains the historical file, the Library and the Fototeca “Furio Di the Fury”. In the proximities, the Church of the S.S. Trinità, from the characteristic it plants to Greek cross with central dome of octagonal form, decorated with maioliche policrome. To his/her inside, a valuable Trinità of the Pomarancio. The numerous churches of foiano entertain interesting works of the Of the Robbia from Luca to Giovanni passing for Andrew, a true Museum of the work spread Robbiana. To characterize Foiano, besides his/her artistic jewels, a main point and centenary demonstration, known and appreciated in Italy: the Carnival, you unthreads of allegorical wagons, realized from the four yards of the country. Broadly celebrated to Foiano and the Well, the Week Saint, with the rievocation of the Resurrezione of Jesus and procession for the streets of the country and bursts of fire crackers. Between May and June the Photographic Review Foiano of Photographic international level and the Rievocation Storica of the Battle of Scannagallo.
PARCHI E OASI NATURALISTICHE
The territory of the A.P.T. "Chianciano Terme-Valdichiana", also for the continuous work of maintenance of the ecological-environmental equilibrium, it is without very interesting doubt; particularly, three vast portions of this territory are officially been censussed as Natural Reserves. The Natural Reserve of the Lake of Montepulciano, that develops him on a level area of around 400 hectares, it comprises also the two small lakes of Closed and Montepulciano, introduces particular aspects of aquatic and marshy vegetation and boasts the presence of over 130 kinds of birds. Very easy the bird watching and the naturalistic photo from ambush, thanks to some special structures placed in strategic points of the reserve. Interesting the small museum of Natural Sciences (0578-767.518 - 0338-719.845), that illustrates the flora and the fauna of the lakes through panels and audiovisual. To the communes of Chianciano and Sarteano, instead, the Natural Reserve of Pietraporciana belongs, that preserve, to quota 800 mt., an ultracentenaria faggeta; here you/they have found habitat ideal foxes, fallow deer, wild boars and various kinds of rapacious birds. In the commune of Pienza we find the Natural Reserve of Lucciolabella, that extends him along the clayey hills of the tall and middle Val of Orcia. The landscape of this area is particularly fascinating for its wild aspect, also gives from the vegetation, characteristic of these clays plioceniche. The whole Val of Orcia, represents however the example, more eclatantes of the perfect integration among the installation of the man in the environment and the marvelous work of the nature; these considerations have brought to the constitution of the Natural and Cultural Artistic Park of the Val of Orcia, with the intention to safeguard this area both under the environmental aspect, both under that of the peculiar cultural expressions of this zone, despite to become some daily way of living. The panoramas are characteristic and unforgettable; whence of biancane and sterile calanchi that is intersected with vineyards and olive-groves, and then the cretaceous high ground, where they are raised unexpected, solitary cypresses or they poll locks of brooms. On the summits of the necks ancient farms, grance, fortresses or small suburbs rise, that are perfectly set in the surrounding territory as if you/they were formed together to it or from it you/they had germinated: a name for everybody, Pienza. To visit the Natural and Cultural Artistic Park of the Val of Orcia will allow us, therefore, to still enter an intact world, but not for this static, frozen as some museums, but dynamic, vital and above all conscious of to have to make to cohabit the to act daily in continuity with his/her own traditions. This environment, deprived of meaningful urban concentrations and of whatever form of pollution, in exceptional way is lent for excursions both afoot and in bicycle; thanks, over that to the beauty of the places, also to the efficient net sentieristica and to a road system in good state and without great tides of traffic. Near the offices of the firm of Tourist Promotion it is in distribution the Guide Cicloturistic of the district.